The Connector JPA proposes to reconstruct White Rock Road as a four lane expressway with a center earth median and an adjacent Class 1 bike/pedestrian trail on the north side of the alignment, between Prairie City Road and Carson Crossing Road. Between Carson Crossing Road and Latrobe Road the surrounding area has been developed into a residential zone and existing White Rock Road will be widened to a four lane thoroughfare with curb, gutter, and sidewalk and an on street Class II bike facility.
The Connector Segment D3/E1 Project is needed because:
- Existing roadways between the City of Folsom and the Counties of Sacramento and El Dorado are insufficient to meet existing and forecasted traffic demand;
- Existing White Rock Road will exceed its capacity and have unacceptable levels of service due to planned and approved growth in Sacramento County, the City of Folsom and El Dorado County;
- Existing roadways are insufficient for local east-west circulation;
- Existing roadways are insufficient for pedestrian and bicycle traffic;
- Local streets are increasingly subject to congestion and use by nonlocal traffic;
- The area lacks multimodal transportation infrastructure, including facilities for bicycle and pedestrian use;
- The area needs an all-weather transportation facility to enable normal mobility and emergency vehicle access; and
- Increasing development encroaches on open space and wildlife habitat and there is a lack of wildlife crossing along throughout the project area.
The primary purpose of the Connector Segment D3/E1 project is to:
- Accommodate travel demand due to planned and approved growth;
- Improve traffic operations;
- Reduce congestion;
- Enhance mobility options within the project corridor and support planned growth;
- Aid economic vitality by improving accessibility to existing and planned job centers and commercial areas;
- Provide a limited-access, multi-modal facility;
- Improve access for all modes of travel including bicycles and pedestrians;
- Construct an all-weather transportation facility that enables normal mobility and emergency vehicle access; and
- Provide wildlife crossings at key locations within the Project area.